Counselling for Athletes
Confidential Mental Health Services for Elite Athletes
The way that elite athletes approach and cope with the demands that they face is a powerful determinant to the impact that they have on both their mental health and sporting success.
Many professional sports men and women are reluctant to seek help due the stigma attached to mental health problems, a lack of information about how such problems can interfere with their performance and a perception that getting help is a sign of weakness.
Who Can Anxiety Counselling Help?
Experts believe that the intense mental and physical demands placed on elite sportspeople make them more susceptible to mental health problems. The competitive years for most elite athletes overlap with the peak age for mental health problems and intense physical activity can compromise mental well-being.
Professional sports men and women face an array of challenges including:
- the pressure of public scrutiny via mainstream and social media
- the absence of traditional social networks due to relocating homes
- the group dynamics and demands of team sports
- the potential for injuries which can end careers prematurely
Retired athletes are at particular risk of developing mental health problems.
What We Can Offer
One of our Therapists will start by asking a number of questions to enable them to understand the problems that you are struggling with and the best way to help you. We will do our best to provide you with exactly what you need by offering you, in a confidential environment:
1. A comprehensive assessment of the difficulties you are facing and your goals for treatment.
2. An evidence-based treatment programme designed specifically for you using the most up to date techniques.
3. Detailed monitoring of your progress to ensure you are experiencing the benefits you require in an appropriate time frame.
4. Follow up sessions to ensure that results are long lasting.
What We Can Offer
Treatments are delivered by Doctors of Clinical and Counselling Psychologists all of whom are highly trained and specialists in their fields. All our experts are:
- Registered Practitioner Psychologists with The Health Care Professions Council
- Chartered Psychologists with The British Psychological Society
- Enhanced CRB checked
- Covered via Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Receiving appropriate supervision in private practice.
All of our Therapists offer Athlete counselling.