Are You Addicted To Your Phone?by Dr Emma Gray - 1st October, 2018
Often when we feel sad, worried, lonely or angry, we reach for something to take the edge off the discomfort. Every once in a while this is fine, it’s human nature to need a bit of time out from ourselves. However, when we reach for this thing, be it a glass of wine, a donut or our phone as our default response to feeling bad, we risk creating more problems for ourselves than we solve.
This is how emotional addictions arise, when we opt for a short-term fix for a problem that really needs a longer-term solution. But how do you know if you have tipped over from using your phone in a way that keeps your life ticking over to using it in a way that could have a negative impact on you, your relationships and possibly your mental health.
Take this quiz to find out if you are addicted to your phone.
1. Is checking your phone one of the first and last things you do in a day?
2. Do you feel on edge if you can’t find your phone?
3. Do you rarely go more than an hour without checking your phone?
4. Do you lose time when you are on your phone?
5. Are you often on your phone when you should be doing something else?
6. Would others say you spend too much time on your phone?
7. Would you say you spend too much time on your phone?
8. Do you reach for your phone when you feel bored, sad, lonely or anxious?
9. Do you struggle to walk past your phone without checking it?
10. Do you always have your phone with you?
If you have answered ‘yes’ to one or more of these questions, read my blog post, ‘5 Steps to Cure Your Phone Addiction‘.